Friday, June 27, 2008

Crying over spilled milk

Literally.

I decided to try breastfeeding with Ian. It didn't work with Aiden and I didn't have the support or knowledge to keep trying so I quit very early on. I was fine with that, I have no qualms about giving my kids formula. In fact, my reasons for breastfeeding are more selfish then anything. Although yes, I realize it is what is best, I've never been an over achiever, so second best is fine by me. Anyway...A. It's FREE and B. You supposedly loose weight faster. See? Selfish. Of course there are selfish reasons for formula too, the big one being that anyone can feed him and it gives mommy more freedom.

So, we started the whole breastfeeding thing and it started off well enough and went downhill quickly. Ian is tongue tied and couldn't latch properly. I started exclusively pumping when I couldn't take the pain anymore. So far that has been working out, it's not ideal, but it works. I try to pump every 2-3 hours but I'm not going to lie, sometimes I forget until later or I just don't have time. It's hard to juggle a 5 year old and an infant and still have time to sit down for 30 mins and pump. I am, however, proud to say that I haven't had to supplement with formula since the first couple days I started pumping.

This afternoon I fed Ian and then pumped. When I finished I set the pump next to me to snuggle Ian, who was getting fussy. Aiden came over to give me a hug and kiss (nap time for the older, but still fussy, one)...he must have knocked the pump over and I didn't notice until he picked it up. It started at just over 3oz and when he picked it up...less then 2.
I cried...literally. Yes, tears over an ounce of breast milk...but seriously, that stuff is like liquid gold and I work damn hard at having enough!

BTW,if you are wondering, like I was, if it should be spilled milk or spilt milk...check here: GoEnglish.com

No comments: