Sunday, August 23, 2009

Facebook is hard on the wallet

How did we keep in touch before all these social networking sites came about? How did we stalk random people that we don't actually want to talk to, but still want to see what they are up to? I must have wasted 50% fewer hours playing on the internet before facebook, myspace, twitter etc etc.
Now, before the addiction of social networking I would have a few select outfits that I would reserve for going out. (and trust me, in the past few years going out is few and far between, normally) I'd change them up by adding different jewelry, different hair style, jeans instead of black pants etc. It didn't matter if I wore that shirt to dinner last Saturday, I can totally wear it to the bar this week b/c we're going with a completely different group of friends.
HA! Not anymore! Now that I'm a big attention whore and must post recent pictures on all of these websites, it would just be unspeakable to *gasp* wear the same shirt 2 weekends in a row when there will be photographic proof....and believe me, whenever you get my friends in a room together I promise there will be a camera out at some point.
Case in point, I went to see Keith Urban and bought a new shirt. A shirt I really like (that in itself is pretty rare). My HS reunion (yep, 10 years folks!) is on Saturday but how can I wear the same shirt when it's already (well, not yet, but soon) been seen on FB?! hmmm...looks like I need to go buy something else to wear.

And no, this has nothing to do with an excuse to shop...it's all Facebook's fault. Clearly.


3 comments:

Kati said...

I never thought of it that way.. mostly because I was also using these sites in high school.. but I totally see your point.. and I too must blame it on Facebook!

P.S. How was the Keith Urban concert? I am soooo jealous as I am a HUGE Sugarland fan!

Mommy of M's said...

SO TRUE!!

Andrea said...

Hilarious. Seriously. It's so true, but I'm not on FB, so I guess I save money that way ... that, and I really don't have an exciting life! ;)