Tuesday, August 25, 2009

I'm not doing cartwheels

I'm not going to lie, T1 has been driving me insane for weeks. He's 6...and mouthy...and defiant...and crazy...and sweet...and sassy...and he's my baby.
Yes, I realize I have a baby (who is actually sitting quietly and playing!) but T1 will always be my baby boy. He the little guy who forced us to grow up, forced us to take a good long look at our lives and make the best of the situation we were given...and you know what, even when he's spitting blue mouthwash all over the sink, zipping down the sidewalk on his scooter after being asked to come inside and yelling in defiance that he is NOT going to do xy or z...he's amazing. He's so sweet and he has so many questions and is so open and honest, part of me wishes he would stay that way forever.
*sigh*

When I sat down to write this blog it was funny and witty, not sentimental and sappy.

The point is, he started 1st grade today. I'm having a really hard time with 1st grade. He'll be gone all day, meaning I have to get him up and out the door BY 7:20am. When I woke him up this morning his response was "OH MAN! Not school!"
What can I say? He takes after his mama! As I was in the bathroom fixing my hair he came in and announced "It's 5 o'clock in the morning!" and promptly crawled back in to bed, pulling his pillow over his head. I had to explain that is was not 5, it was 6:45 and I was going downstairs to put his waffles in. Yes, I totally bribed him with chocolate chip waffles.

Hey, don't judge, it worked. We got out the door without incident. I even let him pick his shirt. I'd wanted him to wear this super cute brown shirt with khaki shorts, except his shorts had disappeared when I did laundry and he wasn't a fan of the shirt. I decided it wasn't worth the fight. I wanted him to be comfortable and excited about his first day...so, he wore his super hero shirt...and you know what? I was okay with that. I don't want him to be uncomfortable and self conscious. Just because I think he looks adorable in something doesn't matter...he needs to like it and be comfortable. That's how it is for me so why should he be any different?

Wow...this post is all over the place. I blame it on getting up too early.



1 comment:

Kati said...

Ahhh! I dont even want to think about preschool let alone first grade :(